Thursday, September 18, 2008

Gojira

Theme: Japanese films of the 1950's (#2)

Released: 1954 (b&w)
Director: Ishiro Honda
Tagline: The legend begins...
Actors:
  • Akira Takarada (Hideto Ogata)
  • Momoko Kôchi (Emiko Yamane)
  • Akihiko Hirata (Daisuke Serizawa-hakase)
  • Takashi Shimura (Kyohei Yamane-hakase)
  • Fuyuki Murakami (Professor Tanabe)

Gojira is a combination of the Japanese words for gorilla (gorira) and whale (kujira).
There is a TON of interesting triva about this film on imdb.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047034/


@ the Crow's Nest
Society members present: Chelsea, Devin, Jenny, Big John, Lincoln, Matt, Zach

4 comments:

Cowboy Conboy said...

Aw, no comments yet?? C'mon, people! Well, I for one loved this movie. So much so, that I think I need to watch it again... The godzilla special effects were a real treat, and much better than if they had been CG'd at some points. The plot itself was also surprisingly engaging... it's NOT just about a monster who ravages Tokyo!

5/5

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

Disclaimer: I gots a cold, thus thought processing is slow and feeble.

I have to disagree with Chels (and Zach, who made the same comment on the ride home) in regards to the plot. I didn't find it engaging. It might've been our group attention level, but we were all so easily distracted! (see: the multiple concurrent bedroom furniture conversations)

At the same time, I really enjoyed the sound effects and much of the cinematography. Not to mention the dreamy mad scientist, whose eye patch made me swoon both as a woman and an aspiring mad scientist.

ETA: 2/5

charmicarmicat said...

I was pleasantly surprised by how there was a giant, destructive lizard in this movie who enjoyed stomping on buildings.

...ok, actually, I meant to say that I was impressed by the cinematography and overall look of the movie, especially considering the fact that it came out in the 50s. It's pretty admirable.

I was also kept entertained by the gallantly enigmatic mad scientist who, in my humble opinion, should have won at least some kind of award based solely on his fashion sense and great use of an eyepatch as an accessory.

When it comes down to it, however, I was slightly bored throughout most of its duration. On that merit alone, I award it a 2.5 out of 5.

(minus 1/2 a point for lack of concealed laser beam weapon under aforementioned eyepatch)