Monday, September 22, 2008

Devin's E-mail, because it has questions.


Hey everybody! Leave comments!

Also we were thinking maybe "Awesome Sets" (or some clever-er title) for the next theme... three beautiful location sets, (outdoors and urban) and three convincing stage sets. What do you think?


So a couple things i was thinking of before we get into the next movie night.

What is the clever title for this movie run?

Some that i was thinking of were:

After the Bombs, Came... Japanese Films of the 50's!


No Best Foreign Film Award Needed for... Japanese Films of the 50's!

Yeah i know these are kind of long, but at least they have more flare than...Japanese films of the 50's (yawn).


Also i was thinking it would be cool to do games of sorts before the movie. (We tend to do 6 degree's after the movie.) For next movie night i was thinking everyone could make a list of "who would you cast if America made a shity remake of Rashomon?" Yeah? No? Something thing fun to go from one night to the next? Think it over.

Also I like the idea of someone introducing the movie, kind of like what i did at Rashomon.
It doesn't have to be an intro like Altman or anything, but some bit of trivia or whatever. Hell we could have more than one person do an intro too. Yeah? No? Think it over.

One other thing i was thinking of was we should do a rotation of who chooses the theme.
So if i think of one, i cant use another until everyone has made one. Then everyone could submit suggestions for what movies should be in the next theme. And then we all vote on all the films submitted and the top 6 go into the theme. Yeah? No? Think it over.

Well that's all i got right now.


See everyone on Thursday!


Devin

5 comments:

Jen said...

I like the theme. Who's idea was it? (and would Lars von Trier's Dogville stage set be considered "convincing," hehe).

As for clever titles, I'm at a loss. Of the two, I prefer "After the Bombs..." though maybe that's because it's more obvious.

It'd be a hoot (as my mom would say) to play the "remake game." Similarly, being a trivia junkie, I enjoy trivia-laden intros and would be glad to do one myself, when we get to a theme I'm more experienced in (like Humphrey Bogart movies of the 50s, or Patrick Swayze movies of the 80s/90s).

See you guys soon!

charmicarmicat said...

Good theme idea.

As for the e-mail, I like all three ideas. Games would be fun and insightful (edutainment!), intros would help shed some light and perspective on what we would watch, and switching themes would keep things fresh.

So when we're coming up with themes and movies to go along with the themes, I'm assuming we want to keep things a little more obscure...correct? I ask because I'm working on a dystopian themed movie list right now that's shaping up quite nicely.

Devin said...

Jen - i believe John is taking the current theme. and no Dogville's realistic chalk town doesn't count as convincing unless it was to convince us that all of the budget went to Nicole Kidman.

Zach - The way I'm starting to think about themes is, bringing movies into the group that you think A)people haven't seen or B) movies people wouldn't normally rent.

An example would be the last movie we showed, ugetsu. I don't think i would have gone out an rented that movie due to not really knowing anything about it but i ended up really enjoying it.

I'm also thinking of themes in terms of each persons specialty. Like i happen to watch a lot of Hong Kong action, samurai and french noir films. so I'm trying to develop a theme around one of those.

As a group i think we are thinking up a lot of cool themes but some problems I'm noticing are themes having too many movies, or themes with movies almost everyone has seen.

I'm totally fine with going back and watching movies I've seen before (as long as they are great movies.) Or even watching top 100 films that other people haven't seen because I think a lot of those films are important. So I think that is another thing we should all consider when thinking of themes.

In the end I like the idea of having a mixed bag, a theme that has a couple of familiar films and some we don't really know anything about.

And with that ends my long winded answer.

PurpleChair said...

When I read the list of themes on the right of the front page, I ended up making a list of contemporary Bollywood films. But I'd feel a bit bad about having my theme-list used if you had some real-life person wanting to contribute.

Chris said...

Basically, I agree with Devin. A mixed bag but with the aim of showing some people some things they haven't seen before (and, as was mentioned, reviewing relevant classics - most of which I haven't seen anyway). The side-bar of ideas is a nice jumping off point, but I am confident that we can get more creative, perhaps even pulling films from different genres together to demonstrate a common element.